The look of old Hollywood is very in vogue. A recent issue House Beautiful magazine says: “For 2014, we’ll be seeing rooms with a lot more drama and glamour. Dark, moody walls in black will be the perfect backdrop to the metallic accessories that we’re all loving right now.”
We’re loving it, too. In fact, you’ll feel like a starlet in your own home when you adopt some of the characteristics of glam style. This striking look can easily be incorporated into your decor. Here are five ways to bring this style home:
1. Mirror, mirror. The reflective quality of mirrors quickly adds glamour to your home, with sparkle and shine. You can find a gorgeous mirror to hang on the wall, or choose a mirrored piece of furniture for a more pronunced statement. Go big with the mirrored square dining base of our Mirage II Table, has accordion style angles that play with the light. It sets the stage for an elegant dinner party. Or choose our Round Accent Table with two mirrored shelves and a shiny nickel finished metal frame. Imagine it next to a slipper chair, with a crystal lamp or candleholder.
2. Feel-good fabrics. Textural fabrics on furniture can make a standard chair feel very glamorous, indeed. Choose an accent chair in velvet or leather, or select a fabric with an elegant pattern or rich color. The Peacock-colored Accent Chair for Metropolitan Home’s Pinnacle Collection gives a room a bit of drama. Upholstered in velvet, it’s as soft as it is striking. Or choose the sophisticated look of the Antoinette Chair. Covered in a black patterned fabric with black wood legs, it adds a touch of film noir to your room.
3. Luxe lighting. Glamorous lighting is a little over the top. Chandeliers are a natural in a dining room, but add some glam to your home by using one in an unexpected location such as the kitchen, bathroom or hallway. And add some glam with a table lamp that is as luminescent as the light it projects. Our beautifully feminine Table Lamp has a crackled silver base and a textured ivory drum shade. Its elegant style is sure to dress up any space. Or choose our updated traditional Candelabra Chandelier. The hanging crystal details provide a feminine contrast to its rich black color.
4. Elegant accessories. Creating a glamorous room can be as easy as adding some elegant details. An obvious choice is a Faux Fur Blanket draped over the side of a sofa or chaise. With the look of mink, it keeps you warm while keeping your room stylish. A Tray placed on an ottoman or end table is another good choice, and can be used to serve your friends evening drinks or loved one breakfast in bed. Available in cappuccino or black finish, its routed grips and heavy weight make it very stable.
5. A place to lounge. Hollywood starlets from the ‘50s and ‘60s could often be found relaxing in an elegant chaise. It’s the epitome of luxury and glamour. Reinvented for modern homes, a chaise provides a place to curl up with a good book or a cup of tea on a slow Sunday morning. Our Broadway Chaise brings drama to a room while still offering a functional seating choice. Its neutral body fabric is outlined by chocolate brown welting, and the graphic toss pillows make it all the more striking. Or choose the Contour Chaise from Metropolitan Home. Upholstered in a mink colored blended leather, its contemporary silhouette is given some sparkle with its nickel-plated base.