The temperature is dropping and that means the weather is prime for homemade soup. You don’t have to spend all day in the kitchen; here are two quick recipes for everyone’s favorites:
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bag (12 oz.) frozen broccoli florets, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup cheese flavored croutons, (optional)
Melt butter in large saucepot over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until golden brown.
Slowly whisk in broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low and add cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Stir in prepared Broccoli. Season, if desired, with salt and pepper. Serve, topped with croutons.
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. thyme leaves
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 10 oz. brown rice or long grain white rice, cooked according to package directions
- 4 cups chicken broth
Heat oil over medium heat in 4-quart saucepot and cook chicken, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until starting to brown. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
Add vegetables, prepared rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.