Thanksgiving can get a little chaotic in the kitchen. There’s a turkey to roast, potatoes to mash and gravy to thicken. It can be difficult to get it all done when there are little helpers underfoot. Keep the kids busy by giving them their own special jobs for the day:
1. Greeter. Leaving the kitchen to open the door can get time-consuming. Instead, ask your kids to be the official greeters. Be sure to show them where to hang the coats.
2. Official photographer. Tech-savvy kids will love to be the day’s official historian by documenting the guests as they arrive. Give them your smartphone or camera.
3. Water-glass filler. Older kids can help by getting beverages ready. Provide pitchers of water and have them carefully fill glasses.
4. Artist in residence. Set up a separate table with art supplies and let kids decorate place cards or place mats. Then hand them out before dinner to create an extra special table setting.
5. Babysitter. Enlist the help of your family’s teenagers to organize younger children in some games. Set up a bedroom or basement that will keep kids happy.