If you love the look of outdoor wicker furniture, but thought it was too high maintenance, you need to learn about today’s resin wicker furniture. Offering the beauty of the old-fashioned material with the advancements of modern technology, modern wicker is designed to hold up to the elements without fading, peeling, chipping or splintering.
The best part is that it requires minimal maintenance. Here are a few steps that will keep yours looking fresh and new:
1. Spot clean any spills, especially drinks or tree sap that can become sticky and attract more dirt. Use water or a mixture of mild soap and water, and simply sponge clean or use a soft-bristled brush. Rinse with water, and dry with a cotton or microfiber cloth.
2. Vacuum the cushion covers to remove dust and dirt that can become problematic if left. For spots, use water or mild soap to spot clean with a sponge. Rinse with water and allow to air dry for at least an hour before using.
3. Complete a more thorough cleaning on the furniture biweekly to monthly, depending on how much your furniture is exposed to the elements. Use a garden hose to remove dust, dirt and grime. You can also use a bucket of water with a mild detergent. A good ratio is ¼ cup of mild dish soap to one gallon of warm water.
4. Remove debris from your furniture with a soft-bristle brush, making sure you get into the weave of the wicker. You’d be surprised how much dust can collect. A wide brush with long bristles can help you get the job done quickly.
5. After cleaning the furniture, spray again with the garden hose or a bucket of clean water until the soap residue is gone. Then let it air dry for two to three hours before returning the cushions.