Once you’ve chosen the right color, it’s time to prep your room forpaint. A few quick steps will not only make it easier for you to paint, it also protects your home from inadvertent splatters or spills. Here is a checklist from the experts at Sherwin-Williams to help you get started:
- Remove draperies, pictures, mirrors, area rugs, hardware (if possible), and switch and receptacle cover plates.
- Move all furniture to the center of the room or the room, if possible. Cover all furniture with drop cloths.
- Tape off woodwork and tape down plastic drop cloths.
- Wrap plastic around light fixtures, and use masking tape to cover any hardware you can’t remove.
- Open a window or door to ensure good ventilation.
- Clean the surface as needed.
- Gaps between walls, ceilings, crown moldings and other interior trim can be filled with the appropriate caulk after priming the surface.