Joanna Gaines is the face of farmhouse style décor. She puts the focus of home design on telling the family’s story. Her own home reflects those same values, with an eclectic mix of personal items, old and new, that creates an inviting space for family and friends. If you love Joanna Gaines’ style, here are three of her signature items:
Admit it. None of us knew what shiplap was before Fixer Upper. Now we all want the beautiful reclaimed wood in our homes. From walls to furniture, every room can use a little shiplap.
There’s something nostalgic and beautiful about framing and hanging vintage maps in farmhouse style décor. Whether it’s from your city, your travels or your dreams, framed vintage maps add a sense of adventure to your room.
Most of Joanna’s designs include large kitchen islands, and the way to create a sense of coziness is to anchor them with statement pendant lights. Not only do pendants provide task lighting; they underscore the design of the home.
What do you think of Joanna Gaines’ farmhouse style décor?
Farmhouse style is a natural for the kitchen. The casual feel is inviting, and the materials offer lots of visual interest as well as durability—perfect for a busy family lifestyle. In one of her blog posts, Joanna Gaines—the queen of farmhouse style—offered thoughts on designing a kitchen. Here are three tips you can incorporate in your Farmhouse style kitchen:
Create Architectural Details
“Houses don’t always come with original charm, like arched doorways and original tile patterns, so sometimes you have to get creative when trying to make a remodel look unique and timeless,” writes Joanna. She uses antique partitions that create a dramatic entrance into the kitchen. You could also use a kitchen island that looks like an antique or choose furniture that was inspired by architectural details.
The farmhouse style kitchen has taught us that things don’t have to match. Joanna often uses one style for upper cabinets and another for lower, allowing architectural elements to stand out. We love this tip because it encourages us to think outside of styles and colors when designing your kitchen. You could use two different finishes or add furnishings in a different style for a unique or eclectic feel.
Put Essentials On Display
Joanna can make the most basic household item look loved simply by showing it off. She often utilizes a pot rack to display and organize everyday pots and pans in a farmhouse style kitchen. “This saves the homeowner from having to look through a cramped cabinet or drawer, while also bringing the character and patina of their collection to this wall,” Joanna writes. When choosing accent pieces for your kitchen, survey what you have in your cabinets. Or select new pieces that not only serve a function but are beautiful as well.
Joanna Gaines may be known for reviving farmhouse style, putting her modern twist on the classic style, but one of her strengths is her ability to design for a variety of families. From Midcentury to traditional, she offers something for everyone.
That’s probably why her Magnolia Home Homestead Collection is among our most popular groupings. The small-scaled sectional, chairs and ottoman will look at home in any décor. And the beautiful cream linen-like upholstery feels casual as well as elegant. Define the style of the space by choosing your favorite accent pieces.
A Collection for Years To Come
Your taste may change, but the Homestead Collection provides the foundation for a beautiful room for years to come.
Be honest: Did you know what shiplap was before you started watching Fixer Upper? (We didn’t either!) Today it’s the must-have material for your farmhouse-style room. If you can’t add it to your walls, bring it home in your furniture. Joanna Gaines’ Magnolia Home Collection gives you Fixer Upper style without moving to Waco.
One of our most popular pieces is the Framework Bed, which features a shiplap headboard, footboard and side rails. If you love modern style, you’ll love its simple, square shape and industrial details. Joanna says the horizontal lines were inspired by yesterday’s workspaces.
“It’s a clean comfortable look that you will always love coming home to,” she says.
Happy 40th Birthday to Joanna Gaines! Art Van Furniture has been a proud retailer of Joanna’s Magnolia Home Collection, and her pieces are among our customers’ favorites. To celebrate this special day, we thought we’d share 40 reasons why we love Joanna.
1. She made farmhouse style the hottest look in home design.
2. She taught the world what shiplap is.
3. She made t-shirts and jeans super fashionable.
4. She loves her kiddos.
5. She has an amazing eye for detail.
6. She isn’t afraid of a design challenge.
7. She regularly eats cupcakes!
8. She has put motherhood first.
9. She isn’t afraid to be silly.
10. She lets Chip be Chip.
11. She has the best facial expressions (especially when Chip is being Chip).
12. She has goats.
13. And chickens!
14. She tells a family’s story through design.
15. She taught us to create art out of everyday objects, such as baskets and buckets.
16. She supports local businesses when she does a renovation.
17. She has a deep respect for history and architecture.
18. She has an amazing talent for mixing styles and making rooms unique.
19. She finds the best stuff at flea markets.
20. She’s very involved in charity work.
21. She has an amazing green thumb.
22. She never seems to have a bad hair day.
23. She sees the beauty in everything.
24. She gets her kids involved in the design process.
25. She has a great smile.
26. She inspires other business owners with her thriving companies.
27. She isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty.
28. She’s down to earth and likeable—even after becoming a big design star.
29. She found time to write a cookbook and a book with her husband.
30. And she has a great blog.
31. And an amazing magazine.
32. She’s always willing to try something new.
33. She can do cartwheels!
34. And a flip on a trampoline.
35. She’s kicked down a wall during demo day.
36. She’s an early bird, who makes her kids a hot breakfast every morning.
37. She has hit TV show but she doesn’t have a TV, preferring to spend time with family instead.
38. Her talent is self-taught.
39. She has a marriage that many of us envy.
40. And she knows that home is the best place of all.
What are we missing? Be sure to share why you love Joanna in the comments below, and help us wish her a wonderful birthday!